Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

3D Alice!

Ladies,

I finally saw Alice In Wonderland at the El Capitan.  It was a beautiful experinece and Mia Wasikowska does a phenomenal job as Alice!  The casting stuck out as being particularly brilliant.  Anne Hathaway as the White Queen, Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen, Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter... they were all phenomenal in their roles.  However, the casting choice that was genius and spot on is Alan Rickman as the Blue Caterpillar!  In all, great ensemble.

The score was quite simple and not one of Danny Elfman's greatest, but it did the job.  You can't really go wrong with Danny Elfman for a Tim Burton movie.  

I still have not decided how I feel about 3D, but Avatar and Alice have definitely pushed me along in the direction of becoming a fan.  When a movie integrates the idea of 3D into the story telling and the directing, so that it doesn't feel like an unecessary addition, it works quite well and definitely enhances the movie going expereince.  The problem is that, many individuals view this technology as a way to make more at the box office and do not take the time to consider what 3D actually contributes to their stories.

xxx Rose

2 comments:

  1. I loooove 3D movies! It's definitely the way things should be headed. And "Alice" is fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Alice was fantastic. I said that to a colleague the other day who proceeded to tell me that the CG work was sub-par at best, that Tim Burton isn't a good storyteller, and that Johnny Depp needs to stop channeling Jack Sparrow! The only thing I could do was walk away. I mean the nerve!! Quirky doesn't mean he can't tell a story ... just cause it doesn't appeal to everyone's sensibilities.... Well, it appeals to mine and I love him and his latest work!

    As for 3D. I think I'm leaning more towards "meh" can't be bothered. Was Alice (or Avatar) any more amazing because of it? I really don't think so. Often times I don't even notice the 3D-ness of it all.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails