Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2009

An Intern in Los Angeles

Greetings from the west coast! I am the third and final part of the trio that is The Eternal Intern. My name is Rose, and my story, much like my fellow eternal interns, is unconventional with plenty of adventure, heartache, tears of joy, tears of pain, and involves way too much packing and unpacking.

My adventure starts after undergrad. I was a lost puppy trying to escape the conventional path of boring employment, wanting to break out on my own to follow a dream that I was yet to discover. Growing up, I always wanted to act. I loved to frequent the theater and the cinema, and so of course I decided to major in Finance and Economics, spending four years of my young adult life highlighting text books.

Only to discover upon graduation that I couldn't bring myself to apply to a single financial institution!

So I did the only thing logical... fled the country! I moved to Tokyo, studied Japanese and fell in love with the world of anime (and a cute brit, but this story is not about that^_^). It was then I decided that I wanted to become a producer! So I moved to HOLLYWOOD! The city of angels! Ha!

I quickly realized that the only way to enter this industry is by interning and networking. So I interned at a production company.
I interned at another production company.
And yet another production company. Oh and an international sales company. And then a big studio. Driving onto a studio lot for the first time was slightly surreal, and to this day I sometimes pinch myself to convince myself it's real. I can't even begin to describe the personalities I have worked for and met - from A list talent to presidents of studios. Juicy stories yet to come!

I am currently writing my first feature script, and looking for permanent employment. I have been assisting a creative executive for the last few months on a temporary assignment, and am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to revert back to interning, but alas this is a reality that I have faced for far too long and am prepared to do so again! Often I feel ancient next to eager undergrads that (fortunately for them) knew what they wanted to do from such a young age. I hate these people! I envy these people! I am in competition with these people!

Tomorrow I have an interview for a producer's assistant position... Fingers crossed! Wish me luck! Will let you know how it goes...

xxx Rose


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails