Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fruitful Employment

Girls, 
I am off to bed, but I just had to share a fabulous email we just received!  

xoxo Ophelia














Subject: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fruitful Employment
Date:  January 14, 2010 12:40:14 AM 

First of all ladies, I’d just like to get something out of the way by saying that I think your blog is wonderful and that I’ve been a fan since day one!

Ok, now down to business…

Reading Ophelia’s recent post ‘The One’ has got me thinking. I consider myself to be a well-educated, motivated young man. Admittedly, I did play the job field a bit in my younger, wilder days, but I’ve since settled down, and until recently, thought that those days were long behind me. I have achieved many of the major ‘success markers’ in life that are to be expected of me, and yet in my heart of hearts, I am still unsatisfied.

With the age of 30 approaching faster than my next deadline, I can’t help but wonder to myself… did I settle with the job I thought was ‘The One’ too young, too hard and too quick? Can I find true career-love before the inevitable pressures of life limit my own personal freedoms?

Without becoming overly philosophical, I’ve realized that while one of the unfortunate realities of our existence is that we have to earn some sort of income in order to survive, we are all looking for sustainable happiness while we do so. What does this mean to us, you ask?

At the risk of submitting myself to too many clichés or perhaps to my own bitter feelings, I have to say; maybe ‘The One’ doesn’t really exist? (Gasp!)  In these modern times in which the line between the workplace and the home is so blurry, I can’t help but feel that happiness resides in us, not our externalities, and that careers are merely a reflection of one’s life experiences:  successes, failures, dreams and desires, all of which one single job may never satisfy.

While I cannot offer you ladies any real answers, I have to say one thing.  I really do admire your ability to stay motivated, hopeful and in love with life!  After all, isn’t that what it’s all about? Remember: a job you leave at the workplace, a career is part of who you are.

Bon Courage!

Signed,

Envious Employee # 24601

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails